If you are struggling in your mental health as a Christian, you are NOT alone. Your mental health struggles are not an indication of a lack of faith. Anxiety, Depression, etc are illness that require medical attention. There is no shame in reaching out for the help you need, friend.
Below are a list of resources I’ve gathered to help you take your next step in your mental, emotional and spiritual health.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255 https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
Please don’t hesitate to reach out for help if you are having suicidal thoughts. You are not alone. You do not need to feel ashamed. But you DO need to reach out for help.
- National Alliance of Mental Health https://nami.org/Home
- Depression + Bipolar Support Alliance https://www.dbsalliance.org/
- Anxiety + Depression Association of America https://adaa.org/
- American Association of Christian Counselors: https://connect.aacc.net/?search_type=distance
- Focus on the Family Mental Health Resources: https://www.focusonthefamily.com/get-help/mental-health-resources/
- AMN blog with a list of resources for your emotional, mental, relational, spiritual health https://andreamnyberg.com/2020/06/27/to-your-health/
- SLEEP HEALTH (A Guide to Sleeping with Coronavirus Anxiety) https://bestsleephealth.com/anxiety/
- Mental Health and Mesothelioma (Help for patients in cancer treatment facing depressed mood and anxiety) https://www.asbestos.com/support/mental-health/
BOOKS ON MENTAL + EMOTIONAL HEALTH for Adults
- The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne PhD
- Postpartum Depression For Dummies by Shoshana S. Bennett
- When God Doesn’t Make Sense by James C. Dobson
- Finding Contentment by Neil Clark Warren
- Switch On Your Brain: The Key to Peak Happiness, Thinking, and Health by Dr. Caroline Leaf
- How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegi
- Feeling Good the New Mood Therapy by David Burns, M.D.
- The Emotionally Healthy Woman: Eight Things You Have to Quit to Change Your Life by Geri Scazzero + Peter Scazzero
- Overcoming Fear, Worry, and Anxiety: Becoming a Woman of Faith and Confidence by Elyse M. Fitzpatrick
- Finding Quiet: My Story of Overcoming Anxiety and the Practices that Brought Peace by James Porter Moreland
- When God Doesn’t Fix It: Lessons You Never Wanted to Learn, Truths You Can’t Live Without by Laura Story
- Hope and Help for Your Nerves by Claire Weekes
- Changes That Heal: Four Practical Steps to a Happier, Healthier You by Henry Cloud
- Glorious Weakness: Discovering God in All We Lack by Alia Joy
- The Broken Way: A Daring Path into the Abundant Life by Ann Voskamp
DEVOTIONALS/BIBLE STUDIES TO HELP WITH ANXIETY + DEPRESSION
- Anxiety: Knowing God’s Peace by Paul Tautges
- Calm My Anxious Heart: A Woman’s Guide to Finding Contentment by Linda Dillow
- Whispers of Rest: 40 Days of God’s Love to Revitalize Your Soul by Bonnie Gray
ARTICLES ON MENTAL HEALTH + FAITH
- By Faith podcast In whatever we’re doing—working, parenting, serving, suffering—it can be difficult sometimes to see through the fog of the circumstances of life and to know with confidence that God is there, that He’s working in us, and that He’s working through us. How do we live this life by faith? In “By Faith,” author and blogger Christine Hoover asks this big picture question by getting into the details and daily lives of her guests: men and women who are walking forward by faith. Hosted by Christine Hoover.
- CXMH podcast: We bring together faith leaders with mental health professionals for honest conversations. Hosted by Robert Vore & Dr. Holly Oxhandler
- Anthem of Hope podcast: A weekly podcast dedicated to sharing real stories from real people on topics such as: hope, faith, doubt, life, and mental health.
- Proverbs 31 Podcast: Therapy & Theology 6-week series: Lysa TerKeurst dives deep into conversation with her personal, licensed professional counselor Jim Cress, as well as Proverbs 31 Ministries director of theology, Joel Muddamalle.
- In this series, you’ll learn how to…
- Overcome the feeling that you’ll never get over the hurt you’re facing by recognizing small steps you can take to get through the hurt, little by little.
- Replace the negative stigma of “therapy” by gaining a healthy, biblical view of counseling for your situation.
- Move toward healing today by discovering the two distinct and necessary parts of forgiveness and how to live them out.
- Find hope in the midst of devastating circumstances by seeking restoration for yourself through prayer and proven exercises to help you process your pain.
- In this series, you’ll learn how to…